Thank you to BuyBuy Baby for partnering with me on this blog post featuring my newborn must haves.
When I became pregnant with my firstborn, Jade, I had spoken to many experienced moms and began Googling day and night, all to gather a wish list. At 37 weeks along with my second, I know what made my life easier the first time and what I consider to be the newborn must haves for baby #2. I am so happy knowing he will get use out of all the same items his big sister did, and even some new additions that I wish I’d known about sooner!
I’m often asked which products I truly recommend. Making honest and useful recommendations, then seeing close friends love the same products brings me so much joy because it means they, too, don’t regret their purchases! I would rather buy something once and have it grow with my family, than deal with disappointment of having to replace for each child. As parents, we all want products that make our lives easier and stand the test of time!
So for all of the expectant mothers or those of you simply looking for a refresh, here is a list of my 17 (yep…17) most loved newborn must haves that will grow with your child and family. All of which are available at BuyBuy Baby/Bed Bath and Beyond (in no particular order)
- Peg Perego Siesta High Chair – This high chair has a full recline, it’s super easy to wipe down, sophisticated design for any home, and is easily maneuvered around on wheels. I used this way before Jade was even eating solid foods. It’s a comfortable chair that we would push from the kitchen to the living room and she loved sitting back in it.
- Nuna SENA Playard – This is something we still use with Jade and I’m afraid she isn’t going to easily give it up for baby brother! It’s larger than an average playpen yet compact enough for travel. Not to mention the sturdiest, even for a larger child! She calls it “her bed”, I call it a dreamland.
- A diaper bag backpack, such as the vegan leather Freshly Picked Diaper Bag –
Try taking your regular, non-backpack diaper bag when limited to a tiny umbrella stroller basket, I dare you. I quickly learned with my first that being handsfree is a total lifesaver…especially when they are older and you spend most of your time chasing them around. Before travelling solo last Winter, I had bought a basic Roots leather backpack and though it did make my life easier, I knew I eventually needed something designed for parents with compartments to keep me organized. I also didn’t want anything too sporty or patterned. This one is fashion-forward AND holds a ton of stuff, which is necessary for a notorious over-preparer like myself. I can only imagine how much I’ll be carrying around with two kids!
- A reliable video monitor, such as this one – I personally use the Levana Astra monitor and have ordered an additional camera so I can keep an eye (and ear) on each bedroom. Pan, tilt and zoom camera control, two-way communication, and quality night vision are a must. Now that I have both kids to look out for, I needed extra peace of mind. This monitor has auto scanning/sequence mode, which switches back and forth between each room every eight seconds. You can even link up to four cameras, which is so helpful not only for multiple children but if you decide to put a camera in a playroom.
- Uppababy Vista Stroller – This truly is the stroller of all strollers. It’s the only one that can grow with your family (accommodating up to three children) with sufficient height and weight restrictions, in-line, as well as with the largest basket for storage. I have even taken this bad boy grocery shopping and didn’t run out of space. I purchased all of the accessories and couldn’t be happier with every single one. Jade would say her favourite is the snack tray…of course! I’ve finally added the Rumble Seat and Piggy Back Ride-Along board to our collection and of course, we’ll be using the included sleep-approved bassinet in the bassinet stand as we did two years ago. Now we can’t wait to stroll the two kiddos around!
- Boon Lawn Countertop Drying Rack and Twig accessory – A dedicated drying rack for baby’s bottles, breast bump parts and miscellaneous accessories. You won’t have to worry about bottles toppling over; everything stays in place and dries to perfection. You’ll even love it so much you catch yourself using it for wine glasses 😉
- Babybrezza Formula Pro Formula Dispenser – *If formula feeding.
This is practically an espresso machine for babies. A time-saving GENIUS product – and yes, it’s compatible with any formula brand/type. It prepares your desired amount of baby formula (2-8 ounces) by measuring and mixing powdered formula and water to the perfect temperature for baby. It’s quick and easy to clean, too. Once we started using it, my husband and I couldn’t even believe we waited to open the box!
- Grobag – This was our go-to because not all babies like to be swaddled and Jade was one of them! Her arms needed to be free, but I knew that a regular blanket on her would be too risky once she started moving around. Other sleep sacks were either too short, too thin or too thick/bulky, while the Grobag is the safest and coziest option for baby, especially since you can choose a Tog rating based on the bedroom’s temperature.
- SkipHop Moonlight & Melodies Nightlight Soother – This became a part of my first-born’s bedtime routine very early on. The lullabies always soothed her and now that she’s older we use it for the white noise. It has four lullabies, four white noise settings, and an adjustable ceiling nightlight. She now requests the “moon and stars” on her ceiling so I guess it’s time to buy a second one so she doesn’t take her baby brother’s.
- Ubbi diaper pail – Unlike some other diaper pails, you can use any standard kitchen sized garbage bag with the Ubbi! It’s aesthetically pleasing and suits any nursery with endless colour/finish options. I’ve found it very durable and doesn’t leave any smell in the room. The lid locks so your child can’t open it yet so easy for us adults to single-handedly slide open to toss the diaper and close.
*Not shown on the Canadian website due to high demand, but available in Canadian stores or through the buybuybaby.com website. Ubbi diaper pail patterned covers are available on bedbathandbeyond.ca
- Keekaroo Peanut changer – At first I thought this seemed pricey for a change pad but I quickly discovered why. It’s easy to clean and there’s no need to use a change pad cover! I can’t imagine having to wash covers regularly. Little babies create enough dirty laundry as it is so Lysol wipes do a great job on the Peanut changer.
*Not shown on the Canadian website due to high demand, but available in Canadian stores or through the buybuybaby.com website
- Fisher Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing –It vibrates, it swings (at six speeds and two motions), it plays many different songs and even has integrated white noise. Baby loves to be soothed by it and can watch the little puppies above for hours. I always said the saddest day in our house was when Jade outgrew this! I can’t wait to start using it again.
- Ergobaby Four-Position 360 Carrier Bundle – The Ergobaby comes with an infant insert, allowing you to carry your babe from 7 to 45 lbs (7-12 with infant insert, 12-45 without). Fully supports your child’s spine, hips, and neck with four different wearing positions! This has especially saved me when baby is just fussing and wants to be close, or you’re zipping through an International airport solo. It even looks perfect after MANY machine washes!
- A glider in high-quality, upholstered fabric, such as this reclining one – Comfort is key, for both you and baby. You love a good chair and they love being rocked, whether it be at story time or during middle of the night feeds.
- Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Electric Steam Bottle Sterilizer – It’s no secret that the Dr. Brown’s Options bottle is a fan favourite. This sterilizer fits 6 of those bottles perfectly (including all Dr. Brown’s parts) and even has a spacious tray for any other accessories or pacifiers you’d like to add. This was a time saver and I couldn’t believe I hadn’t purchased it right away. I was old-school boiling bottles to sterilize before this! Talk about a waste of time.
- Fridababy NoseFrida Snotsucker – Genius product. I went the first few months of my firstborn’s life without owning one and I don’t know how I ever thought another nose aspirator would clear her nose. As a parent, using the NoseFrida is so satisfying because really, who wants to see their child uncomfortably congested? You’ll never have to worry about snot or mucous again!
- Philips Hue Light Kit – Last but CERTAINLY not least, this is a game-changer in any lamp of the nursery! You’ll thank me during middle of the night feeds, diaper changes, or even in preparation for bedtime. This controllable dimmed lighting allows you to see baby and their room without interrupting their sleep. You can either control it from your Smartphone or the portable wireless remote (magnetically attached to the wall) at bright or dimmed, cool or warm lighting tones. It’s so helpful, even as a nightlight that I’m going to be putting a second system in Jade’s big girl room, so the existing one stays in baby boy’s nursery. As extra as it sounds, I can’t imagine these past two years of motherhood without this product.
Thanks so much for checking out this post! I hope some of my recommendations are helpful to you.
What are some of your most loved newborn must haves? I am all about convenience and simplifying daily life so suggestions are always welcome!
From my mess to yours,
Disclaimer: BuyBuy Baby compensates me for my time, while all opinions are my own.
Rewind to two years ago, when I was making my baby registry. I had to go through two separate stores because a one-stop shop in Halifax with all of my wishlist baby products did not exist. Just over a year ago, Bed Bath and Beyond + BuyBuy Baby opened up in Bayers Lake. Since I had experienced ordering online from them before, I was thrilled to have everything baby and mama needs under one roof. Haligonians, we are SO lucky now!